Post Views (3420)
Be it the weather or the on start of a chain of festivals, there’s something truly captivating about autumn. Ushering in the spirit of festivity, blessedness and joy, it’s a time of the year that brings forth a lot of reflection in the midst of celebration, for most of us if not everybody :-). Marking the victory of good over evil, Durga Puja/Dussehra celebration preceded by the nine holy nights or Navratri is precisely that…a time that reminds us to curb out the evils that dwell within us and around us.
Festivals no longer remain a ritualistic reminder alone but a potent call for action as well. Our Dussehra special blog takes a look at 10 modern day vices that we urgently need to get rid of :-)…Read on for more!
1. Crime against Women: You can respect the Goddess but you can’t respect a woman…irony much? Take a look around and raise your voice…do your part to eradicate crime against women.
2. Greed: With corruption and inflation leading the way, the arms of greed reaches out to not just a few but to the entire nation! We’d all benefit a lot if we divert our focus from wants to needs, especially if the leaders of the nation decide to do so.
3. Litter Everywhere: Eat, pray, make merry and then dump your litter right where you’re standing! Indians love to treat the streets and basically any open space as a dustbin! We have a special knack for littering anywhere and everywhere, often times right outside the temple.
4. Say NO to Honking…Please: The traffic won’t budge with your non-stop honking…please don’t forget to remind yourself and others around you! Driving a bit more sensibly on the other hand can work wonders for you and for everyone else.
5. Selfishness and Stupidity: There’s no limit to the stupidity and selfishness that so many are capable of displaying in this country. Insensitivity to others reflects our inadequacy and nothing else, so make it a Dussehra special vow to wipe this evil out!
6. Stop Staring: Your age and choice of attire doesn’t matter for you’re going to be ogled at anyway…So much so that we even have hoardings mentioning the pitfalls! Waaaaaah!
7. Rage without a Cause, without a Pause: The senseless anger and the senseless drama that never fails to shock and amaze at the same time. A friendly reminder this Dussehra that would be good for the self and for others – keep a check on your fury!
8. Indifference or Lack of Concern: More of sensitivity and less of indifference is what the world really needs. There are numerous evils that Indians need to get rid of…be it poverty, crime, violence or anything under the sun. But always remember, it’s our silence and indifference that perpetuates it more than anything else!
9. Spitting! It’s a nuisance, seriously, to see all the spit flying from here and there and everywhere. If you can’t take care of something, then don’t damage it either…even if it’s only the road or a building wall.
10. Pollution: Ever rising levels of pollution is not just a matter of concern anymore but a serious threat to our lives. High time we took the necessary steps to control this growing menace!
The importance and celebration of Dussehra and Durga Puja essentially calls for a cleansing of all evils, from inside and outside. Let this Dussehra be an awakening call for us all and let us all do our part to wipe out the bad and usher in the good in the midst of all the festivity!
Wishing you all a very Happy Dussehra and Durga Puja!
We’d love to hear from you, so write to us and share your story!
Latest posts by Samriddhi Tanti (see all)
- Iconic Bollywood Hairstyles We All Remember! - May 6, 2016
- ‘A Scoop of Happiness’… Best Ice Cream Parlours in Delhi - April 28, 2016
- Offbeat Ways to Enjoy Mumbai on a Budget - April 22, 2016