Post Views (1080)
Every year April 7th is celebrated as World Health Day to mark the anniversary of the founding of WHO in 1948, and to emphasize the importance of public health. This year the focus is on diabetes, a rapidly increasing health condition that’s impacting children and adults worldwide, with over 350 million people suffering from either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
However diabetes prevention, especially Type 2, is possible (yup!) & simple lifestyle measures prove highly effective. We take a look at few tips to prevent diabetes naturally:
1. Keep a Check: Monitoring habits & patterns on a regular basis is the first step towards diabetes prevention. Whether it’s evaluating your sleep pattern, keeping a check on your urine or blood sugar levels, a little awareness can make a huge difference in the long run.
2. Lifestyle Check: Limit your sedentary lifestyle & start being more active. Being a couch potato, eating junk food, playing endless hours of video games are some of the habits you need to put an IMMEDIATE check on!
3. Watch the Weight: One of the leading causes of type 2 diabetes is excess weight as it increases risk by at least 7 times! Maintaining a regular exercise routine not only keeps your weight in check but also helps you feel more energetic and enthusiastic.
4. Plan your Meals: Make it a priority to include whole grains, fibres, healthy fats and protein sources like nuts, beans, poultry & fish in your diet. Eat a nutritious diet and avoid junk food, sugary confectioneries, sodas and other processed food that tend to increase blood sugar levels.
5. Cut the Smoke: The harms of smoking need not be mentioned but if you’re still hooked to the bud then here’s another reason why you should quit immediately! Smoking increases insulin resistance and abdominal fat accumulation and doubles the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
6. Time to Unwind: Irregular sleep patterns & chronic stress can also cause diabetes as “under stress your body tends to go into fight-or-flight mode, raising blood sugar levels…” says Richard Surwit, author of The Mind-Body Diabetes Revolution and chief of medical psychology at Duke University. So incorporating relaxation exercises and stress management moves is highly recommended.
Happy World Health Day … Being unhealthy isn’t cool at all! So this World Health Day, make a commitment to double your efforts to lead a healthier lifestyle & keep diabetes at bay!
Don’t forget to share your opinions and queries with us ‘cuz we love talking to you!
Latest posts by Samriddhi Tanti (see all)
- Iconic Bollywood Hairstyles We All Remember! - May 6, 2016
- ‘A Scoop of Happiness’… Best Ice Cream Parlours in Delhi - April 28, 2016
- Offbeat Ways to Enjoy Mumbai on a Budget - April 22, 2016